Saturday, April 3, 2010

Diverting to Dubai

Last week I traveled to what I like to call the Manhattan of the Middle East- Dubai.  I went for a business trip but decided to stay the weekend so that I could explore the city.  The plane ride from Doha to Dubai is almost a joke.  You take off and before you know it you are landing.  Somewhere in between they TRY to serve a full meal, but it is more like 'Here- shove this food down your throat as quick as possible because we are about to land'.  The 45 minute flight is a trip that many take on a daily basis for commuting to and from work.

This was my second time in the city- although the first time was a whirlwind day trip back in November during my interview for my current position.  At that point- I was paying more attention to my first trip abroad and alone than I was taking in the city.  This time I paid close attention.

Dubai is one of the seven emirates of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and as most of you already know, it is known as the top vacationing and shopping spot of the Middle East.  I got off the plane and got a cab to the hotel; it was night and I was able to see the city at its finest.  Bright, colorful lights and fast cars on the freeway- Dubai is full of life and much much larger than my little Doha.  Dubai also has a public transportation system, unlike Doha, and has boarding stations around the city that resemble something out of Star Wars.  Large, silver, slug-like hubs. When morning arrived, the city was just as beautiful and striking as it was the night before.  Lots of green palm trees and grassy knolls in the midst of the tall sky touching towers.  I began to feel like a country girl gone to the BIG city!  From Doha to Dubai- there are too many differences to count.

My trip lasted for about five days- from good food to spectacular shopping, there was not a boring moment.  I wanted to go into the Burj Khalifa (currently the World's tallest building) but it was closed for maintenance- my luck and also a regular situation for the Middle East.  Since the height thrill was no longer an option, I filled my time with: dancing at a terrace bar overlooking the marina, attending a VIP beach party, riding a private row boat to dinner, and shopping, shopping, shopping.  I went to both the Mall of the Emirates (where the ski slope is) and the Dubai Mall (which is very close to the Burj Khalifa).  My Dubai Mall trip lasted from 11am to 7pm-  how that happened I am really not sure but the slimness of my wallet is proof that it actually happened.  By the end of my last day in the city- I was ready to go home....back to Doha.

Looking up at the Burj Khalifa

There is no way to cover Dubai in five days (maybe Doha), so I will definitely be back to the city again.  But I will have to admit, on my cab ride back to my apartment in Doha I felt a strange sense of home.  Doha has become my home away from home and as much as I complain about it, it is starting to hold a special place in my heart.  The past two months has flown by so fast that it took me leaving for a few days and returning to really understand my attachment to the small city.  I know that I don't want to live here for ever, but its kind of nice to call it home for now.  (Now don't you worry North Carolina-  I haven't forgotten you and cant wait to feel your cool grass between my toes)

1 comment:

  1. That all sounds so exciting!
    You will be so spoiled and bored with NC when you return!
    I see it is 95 there now, we are coming close this week -88 today and tomorrow! We went from Winter to Summer overnite.

    I hope your wallet recovers from Dubai!
    Stay Safe!
    Tondi

    ReplyDelete