Sunday, March 7, 2010

America in Doha?

Working for a global company can really open your eyes.  For my company, Qatar is a melting pot of nationalities.  In our office, we have about 125 employees and over 25 nationalities.  I am the only American.  Please push that thought aside that most of you are currently thinking, "Oh no.  Sarah is representing America."  Trust me, I am making you all proud.

As proof of this, I will tell you of my task this weekend.  Since I have arrived, I have been attending weekend cookouts hosted by various co-workers and their spouses.  The type of food consumed at each of these has depended on the nationality of the hosts.  As most people have taken their turn, it soon became obvious that my turn was approaching.  Considering the closet apartment that I live in, a German co-worker offered his home as the location for my 'American' barbecue.  Following my consent, a shocking email was sent out by the German inviting not just a few but 10 men from the office and their wives to 'Sarah's Famous BBQ Rib cookout'.  The pressure was on:
  • Nearly 20 people were going to be attending.
  • I'd never cooked ribs in my life.  (Though, I have seen people cook them.)
  • Pork ribs are forbidden in the country.  So we would be eating beef ribs.  You've got to be quite the pro to smuggle pork across airport security here.
As my big day approached, I began to draft up the American menu.  (Looking back on it, I really only made southern food.  Sorry northerners, I left you out.  I can make philly cheesesteaks and pizza another time.)  Though I was tempted to make PB&J triangles for appetizers, I resisted this urge.  Now back to the menu:  beef ribs, cole slaw, twice baked potatoes, and baked beans.  This menu was made only after the German eliminated my other options:  sweet potato pie, mac n' cheese, cornbread, sweet tea, and banana pudding.  I went grocery shopping mid-week just to make sure I could get all of the ingredients that I needed.  We had to go to three different stores just to get the beef ribs and I had to make a trip to Mega Mart to get the assortment of beans.  (Mega Mart is a grocery store worshiped by all Americans here because it offers American brands...you only have to pay one month's salary in exchange for a box of your favorite cereal.  Seriously though, one small box of cornflakes is $12 USD)

Cookout day arrived and I began cooking around 3pm.  (Yes mom, I washed my hands first!)  Around 4pm, guests began arriving- all just in time to see me pouring in the butter, milk, cheese, and sour cream into the twice baked potatoes.  One lady asked me if this was why all Americans were so big!  I just laughed and hoped she wasn't staring at the back of my chubby arms.  Cooking the American meal really made me feel home away from home.  I was smiling ear to ear and taking in all of the familiar aromas of my childhood.  Though many asked to help me in the kitchen, I turned down the help and enjoyed the time alone making the dishes.

Dinner was finally ready.  Guests for the dinner included:  South Africans, Norwegians, Germans, and Kiwis (New Zealanders).  Everyone sat down at the table, gave a toast to America, and began passing the food around.  It wasn't long before everyone began commenting on how great everything tasted.  I think their favorite part was the baked beans, they couldn't get enough of them!  As I looked around the table, I couldn't help but smile and think that all of these different nationalities were sitting at one table, speaking one language, and enjoying the same meal.  It was a really good moment.  A greater appreciation for American food was reached at that dinner table.  Jokes were even made about renting me out for their own barbecues.

The American barbecue was a success.  I'm sure this will not be the only American meal that I prepare for others while here, but I don't mind. It is comforting to know and realize, that home is just a meal away.

3 comments:

  1. You are making us proud, Sarah!!! Loved reading this post (as always). Please keep your adventures in Doha coming. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sarah,
    Look at this... I'm commenting on your blog!
    One small step for man-kind - Woo-Hoo -GO ME!

    Love the Piggy picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a wonderful writer! You need to compile this into a book one day. Sounds like a very unique and memorable dinner!

    ReplyDelete